We are redesigning our website! Check it out at http://new.cityofsalem.net
City of Salem


Skip navigation links
About Us
Ask a Cop
Join Salem PD
Press Releases
Cadet Program
D.A.R.E. Program
Gang Unit
Top Ten Most Wanted
Volunteer Program
Can You ID Me?
Crime Prevention
Domestic Violence
Online Crime Reporting
Rx Drug Drop Box
Vacation Home Check
Purchase Property & Surplus

Q -  Where do I go to get a permit for a burglar alarm?

A - The Salem Police Department no longer requires a permit for a burglar alarm.  For all other permits, you can contact the Permit Application Center.  They are located at City Hall, 555 Liberty Street SE #320, Salem, OR 97301, 503-588-6256.

Q - How do I file a police report for a crime that has already been committed?

A -  If the incident occurred in the jurisdiction of the Salem Police Department, you have several options.  You can come to the front lobby of the Salem Police Department and file a report.  The address is 555 Liberty Street SE #130 and the lobby is open 24/7.  Or you can call our non emergency number, 503-588-6123, and talk to a call taker at the Willamette Valley Communications Center.  They will take your initial information, such as where the crime occurred, who as involved, name, address, telephone number.  They will then pass along the information to the Telephone Reporting Office and someone from the TRO will make contact with you and compile the actual report. 

Q - Do you notarize documents for the public?

A - The police department does not notarize documents for the public.  You might try the Yellow Pages under Notaries Public.

Q - How do I find out if someone is in jail? 

A - The Salem Police Department does not operate a jail.  The Marion County Jail is located at 4000  Aumsville Hwy SE, Salem, OR and can be reached by calling 503-588-8588.  The Polk County Jail is located at 884 SE Jefferson Street, Dallas, OR and can be reached by calling 503-623-9254. 

Q - My car was towed, what do I do now?

A - You need to go to the Salem Police Department at 555 Liberty Street SE #130 and request a Release of Vehicle.  The process requires the registered owner of the vehicle to provide photo identification and be, or bring in with them, a valid driver with their driver's license.  The registered owner of the vehicle must provide current proof of insurance on the impounded vehicle and must also pay the current administrative fee.  The Salem Police Department will only issue a vehicle release to the registered owner(s).  Once a vehicle release is given to the owner, they need to contact the tow company and settle up with them.

Q - Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

A - The Salem Police Department does not provide this service to the public.  You can get your fingerprints taken at the Oregon State Police Identification Services office located at 3772 Portland Road NE, Building C, Salem, OR 97303.  503-378-3070.  Fingerprinting is done Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.  The fee is $20 for fingerprints, $33 for a clearance letter.  They accept cash or check only, NO debit or credit cards. 

Q - Can I donate money to the police department?

A - Yes, you can.  Simply make a check or money order payable to Salem Police Department and note any limitations on the check/money order or in an attached letter.  For instance, if you wish your donation to be applied to the K-9 Unit, write "K-9 donation" in the memo portion of the check/money order.  If you do not indicate a preference, the monies will be used for general operations.  You may also donate funds to the department via your estate plan.  The process is much the same as above, just note any preferences in your testamentary document and your wishes will be carried out.

Q - How can I get a copy of a police report? 

A -   Contact the Salem Police Department, Attn:  Records Section, 555 Liberty Street SE, #130, Salem, OR 97301, Phone No. 503-588-6144, Fax No. 503-588-6329.   All record requests must be in writing, either in person, via mail, or via fax.  Reports are only released if no investigation or prosecution is pending. There is a fee for each report; the information can be found under the "How Do I" section of the website.  Unless you are an insurance company or an attorney's office with an established billing account, all costs for reports must be paid prior to the report being released.  Within the request, you should provide: your name, address, phone number, the report type, date, location, person's involved, and case number, if known.

Q - Do you prepare VISA letters? 

A - Yes.  Requests must be made in writing and should include your full name and date of birth, and the time period you want covered in the record search.  You must also include a copy of your photo identification.  Upon completion of the records check, the letter will be written.  There is a $15.00 fee per letter and payment must be made in advance.

Q - Do you take pictures for passports?

A - No.  You might try the Yellow Pages under Passports. 

Q - People keep speeding up and down my street.  What can I do?

A - You are encouraged to report the activity to the Traffic Control Unit by calling 503-588-6293 and leaving a detailed message.  All concerns are tracked and help the unit prepare for and carry out their traffic enforcement plans.  You can also put in a request for a Radar Reader Board to be parked on your street.  You can find out more about that option by calling the Community Response Section Volunteer Coordinator at 503-588-6499. 

Q - How can I get a Salem Police Department patch?

A -  The Salem Police Department trades patches with other police agencies and retired officers.  Due to the volume of requests, as well as the cost, we are not able to honor requests from the general public. 

Q - I need to get my property back from the Police Department.  What do I need to do?

A - Property that was taken by the Salem Police Department can only be released by appointment.  Call 503-588-6104 to schedule an appointment.

Q - Do you provide tours of the Salem Police Department?

A - Yes, our Crime Prevention Unit handles tours.  Please call 503-588-6175 to schedule a date and time.

Q - Can I donate stuffed animals and/or toys to the department?

A - Yes!  Stuffed animals and toys are collected all year long.  They must be new or like new.  Bring them to the front counter of the Salem Police Department at 555 Liberty Street SE #130, Salem, OR 97301.  If you have questions, please call 503-588-6499.


All E-Payments
Court Fees & Fines
SPLASH (Permits)
Tickets & Citations
Utility Billing

Help & Information
A to Z
Contact Us
Salem News
Site Map

Sister Cities
Gimhae, South Korea
Kawagoe, Japan
Permits & Licenses
Building Safety
Land Use Application
License Search
Parking Permits
Permit Search
Public Works Permits

Affordable Housing
Public Housing Properties
Other Rental Properties
Section 8 Programs

Floodplain Information
Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan
Center 50+
City Recorder (Public Records)
Contracts & Procurement
Housing & Social Services
Human Rights
Youth Development

Make a Difference
Boards & Commissions
Neighborhood Associations 
News & Tools
City Calendar
E-mail Subscriptions
Road Work Traffic Impacts
Salem Traffic Cameras

Social Networking
 Copyright © 2011 City of Salem, Oregon All Rights Reserved
All City pages are maintained by City of Salem employees.
Email comments or suggestions to webmaster@cityofsalem.net
Website Disclaimer | Non-Discrimination | ADA Accommodation | Human Rights & Relations