Vacation Home Check
Vacations require a measure of preparation nowadays. Booking flights or camping reservations ahead of time is essential. Yet, your vacation preparations shouldn’t stop there! Be sure to make all the necessary preparations for the protection of your home, as well.
From ensuring window and door locks are functioning properly to making arrangements to stop deliveries or publication services, there are many things you can do to prepare your home for the duration of your time away.
View Additional Vacation Home Tips
Now you can enroll your home in the Salem Police Department’s Vacation Home Check program. Available for residences located in the city limits, Vacation Home Check provides a free community service for residents who will be away from their home for a brief period of time.
Here’s how it works: During the enrollment period, trained police volunteers conduct (at least one per week) visual checks of enrolled residences to ensure gates, lighting, and the general security of the home appears intact. Should something suspicious be discovered during a check, the volunteers will request police assistance.
To enroll: Applications
- Must be received and approved no later than two weeks in advance of the requested time for the checks.
- Are limited to a maximum of four weeks biannually.
Complete the Vacation Home Check Enrollment Application and send it to:
Salem Police Department
Volunteer Services Section
555 Liberty St. SE, Room 130
The Vacation Home Check program is a free service provided by the Salem Police Department Volunteer Services Section. The program is not intended to provide security services for the properties enrolled in the program. The City of Salem assumes no liability for any thefts, losses, or damage to properties during the enrollment period.
The following tips are helpful for any resident preparing to go on vacation. Should you enroll in the Vacation Home Check program, your responsibilities include these personal actions:
- Stop mail service during your time away or make arrangements to have it collected. Do the same for subscription newspaper deliveries and parcel service. Unattended packages or the accumulation of newspapers and mail have the potential to be stolen – and are an alert to burglars that a house is unattended.
- Inspect all door and window locks to ensure they are in proper working order.
- Install window locks or dowels for sliding glass doors.
- Use timers for lights inside and outside a home. A consistent use of lighting conveys the homeowner is actively protecting their property.
- If you have exterior lights on the property, ensure they are all in proper working order.
- If any vehicles remain on the property, make sure all the doors and windows are locked. Note any damage before you leave. Also, if you keep garage door openers in your vehicles, remove them, and store them in a secure location.
- Make arrangements for an emergency contact.
See the Vacation Home Check Program Brochure for additional information and requirements.