Volunteers with the Salem Police Department donate their time and skills to assist the department in the performance of its duties. The program utilizes volunteers with a wide range of skills and talents, and is designed to be beneficial to all involved. The Salem Police Department volunteer program increases public awareness of the department’s efforts through expanded service to the residents of Salem.
By choosing to volunteer with the police department, you are making a difference in the lives of Salem residents. Volunteers work side by side with police employees in a variety of settings. You will have a front-row seat for behind-the-scenes workings of law enforcement.
Would you like to make a difference in our community?
There are many benefits by choosing to volunteer with Salem Police Department. Just a few of those benefits are:
· Make new friends.
· Gain valuable work experience.
· Develop new skills.
· Make a difference in improving your community.
· Witness first hand what happens behind-the-scenes in law enforcement.
SPD Volunteer Positions
· Radar Reader Board Team
· Disabled Parking Patrol
· Administrative Assistant
· Pawn Shop Data Entry
· Conduct Security Surveys
· Squad Car Maintenance Team
· Graffiti Removal
All volunteers are properly trained for the position in which they will be working and will also receive a handbook with detailed information to better equip them for work within the Salem Police Department. All volunteers are also given the opportunity to go on a ride-along with a patrol officer.
Minimum Requirements for Salem Police Department Volunteers:
· Volunteers must be able to commit to two to four hours per week (depending on position) for a minimum of six months.
· Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
· Volunteers must be able to successfully complete a background check, which includes both reference checks and a criminal history check.
· Volunteers must support the Salem Police Department and comply with confidentiality requirements and department policies and procedures.
**Volunteers must adhere to the City of Salem's drug free policy**
Steps to become a volunteer with the Salem Police Department:
· Submit a volunteer application (click on the link to download).
· Attend an interview with the Volunteer Services Coordinator.
· Successfully complete a background check.
· Attend a volunteer orientation and required trainings.
If you would like more information on the Salem Police Department’s volunteer program or if you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator, Jennifer Hingston, at 503-588-6499 or email@example.com.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Domestic Violence Program, contact Emily Collins, Domestic Violence Advocate, also at 503-588-6499 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the Domestic Violence program, click here.
If you are interested in learning about our Special Person Registry, click here.