Within the City of Salem
No open burning is permitted within the Salem city limits at any time except:
- Recreational fires – Small fires for entertainment purposes only must be a maximum of 3 feet by 2 feet. Clean-burning wood products only. No burning of yard debris is permitted.
- Ceremonial fires – Small fires for religious, cultural, or special events. A written permit issued by the Salem Fire Department is required.
- Agricultural burning – Burning of natural vegetative material for commercial agricultural operations only. A written permit issued by the Salem Fire Department is required.
Within the Salem Suburban Rural Fire Protection District
- Residential backyard burning of yard debris is permitted between March 1 and June 15, and again between October 1 and December 15.
- Agricultural burning is allowed for commercial agricultural operation only. No written permit is needed.
- Recreational and ceremonial fires are permitted anytime. No written permit is needed. Clean-burning wood products only. No burning of yard debris is permitted.
NOTE: Certain exceptions apply within Marion County inside the urban growth boundary. Visit the Marion County Environmental Services site for more information.
Safety regulations for all types of open burning
- The fire must be constantly attended by a responsible person until it is extinguished.
- A water supply, shovel, rake and/or fire extinguisher must be readily available.
- No burning is allowed within 15 feet of any building, combustible deck, fence, or other structure.
- Any burning located between 15 and 25 feet to any building, combustible deck, etc. must be in an approved burn receptacle and limited to not larger than 3 feet by 2 feet in size.
- Any burning located between 26 and 50 feet to any building, combustible deck, etc. must be limited to not larger than 4 feet by 3 feet in size.
- Backyard/open burning is limited to materials from trees, shrubs, or plants that grow in a landscaped yard.
- Call the Burning Information Line at 503-588-6420 each day to verify if open burning is authorized.
- Open burning may not be allowed based on atmospheric conditions or fire safety considerations.
Report an illegal burning violation
The Salem Fire Department is authorized to order extinguishment of open burning that creates or adds to a hazardous situation.
If you wish to report an suspected illegal burning violation, call the non-emergency dispatch phone number at 503-763-1424.