Mission, vision, and values
In a work session on March 6, 2017, the Salem City Council reached consensus on mission, vision and values statements for the organization.
A safe and livable capital city with a sustainable economy and environment that is open to all.
The City of Salem provides fiscally sustainable and quality services to enrich the lives of present and future residents, the quality of our environment and neighborhoods, and the vitality of our economy.
Opportunity – Salem is proactive and forward-thinking
Compassion – Salem is fair, equitable, and safe
Responsiveness – Salem is at your service, with capacity and partnerships to prepare for the future
Accessibility – Salem is open and inclusive
The City of Salem is asking big questions as part of a strategic planning process. Community engagement is a critical part of this effort, and we’d like your help. To-date, we have heard from:
- Thank you Salem! About 300 of you participated in a June 1 Community Open House. We received more than 750 ideas and suggestions for how the City could address these big issues for our community. Over the summer, Council will get to work and review all of the input we have received to-date.
- January 2017 open house input summary
- The City Council and Budget Committee
- 450 residents who participated in a statistically valid
satisfaction survey conducted by DHM Research from November 30 through December 4, 2016
Stakeholders including potential partners in improving conditions in our community
Based on input received to-date, outlined in the
Situation Assessment, the City Council identified six priority topics for Council work groups to discuss with the community. All work groups are meeting in April to define the scope of the issue, desired outcome, and ideas for actions the City may take to address challenges and opportunities facing the City. Meetings will be publicly noticed and comments will be taken.
Work groups on the following topics:
Affordable housing, social services, homelessness
Mayor Bennett, Councilors McCoid, Andersen, Cook
Andy Wilch, Housing Administrator
- Housing security for Salem residents
- Accessible health and social services for Salem residents