The Planning Commission initiated a project to update our land use regulations for wireless communication facilities (cell towers and other support structures, antennas, and equipment), and City Council approved the amendments in March, 2014. The zoning code amendments include:
- A new chapter, SRC Chapter 703, that consolidates application requirements, siting standards, approval criteria, development standards, and other provisions that were previously found in multiple chapters of the zoning code.
- Provisions within the new chapter for wireless communications facilities attached to utility poles in public rights-of-way, which were previously regulated through franchise agreements negotiated with individual wireless communication providers.
- Provisions within the new chapter that make wireless communication facilities more visually compatible with their surroundings.
- Corresponding amendments to other zoning chapters.
City Council approved Engrossed Ordinance Bill No. 24-13 on 03-24-2014. The new regulations became effective 04-23-2014.
PDFs of the final version are available below:
• Complete document (pages 1-136) - 1.6 MB
• Part 1 (pages 1-50) - 584 KB
• Part 2 (pages 51-100) - 572 KB
• Part 3 (pages 101-136) - 401 KB
NEW CELL TOWER REGULATIONS
Click here to review the final version of the Engrossed Ordinance for SRC Chapter 703 that consolidates application requirements, siting standards, approval criteria, development standards, and other provisions that are currently found in multiple chapters of the zoning code.
Click here for answers to some of the frequently asked questions concerning the Wireless Communication Facilities Code Amendment.
Si necesita ayuda para comprender esta informacion, por favor llame 503-588-6173
CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS WITH STAFF REPORTS AND OTHER INFORMATION ON THE CODE AMENDMENT:
• January 13, 2014 Public Hearing
• January 27, 2014 Deliberations
• February 24, 2014 Continued Deliberations
• March 10, 2014 Engrossed Ordinance
• March 24, 2014 Continued Deliberations and Second Reading
COMMUNITY FORUM/OPEN HOUSE
Staff hosted Open House meetings on February 7, 2013 and February 20, 2013 and presented the following information about the proposed cell tower regulations:
• Proposed Wireless Communication Facilities Code Amendment Presentation
• Siting Priority Information
• Why do we need more wireless communication facilities?
• Map of Salem zoning and cell towers on private property
• Map of Salem street classifications and wireless antennas on utility poles in right-of-way
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
To view the Document Library for this project click here.
For examples of existing wireless communications facilities in Salem, click here.
Contact Pamela Cole, Case Manager at email@example.com or 503-540-2309.