Carbon Monoxide Safety Presentation
On August 28th from 3:00-4:30 and 6:00-7:30 p.m. the Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal is partnering with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to provide carbon monoxide safety information & education presentations. For more information and to register for one of the time slots follow this link.
Safety Tip of the Month: Cigarette-Caused Fires: Fires caused by careless disposal of smoking material continues to be a leading cause of fires, both inside and outside of the home. Week after week our department responds to fires that can be attributed to improper and careless disposal of cigarettes. These fires range from small bark dust fires to multi-story apartment complexes with major property losses and injuries. Cigarettes disposed in planter boxes or bark dust areas can smolder and spread to homes, apartments, and commercial buildings.
Carbon Monoxide Alarm Laws
The 2009 Oregon Legislature passed HB 3450, the Lofgren and Zander Memorial Act, requiring the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in specific residential applications with a carbon monoxide source. Click this link to see the Oregon State Fire Marshal's informational site
Register Your Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
Your AED is a valuable asset to Salem. The Salem Fire Department would like to add your AED to our list of known AEDs. With this information our 9-1-1 Dispatch Center can advise the 9-1-1 caller that an AED may be on-site at their emergency.