Update: Weather forecasts indicate Salem and the Mid-Willamette Valley could continue to receive snow across the Valley this evening. Subfreezing temperatures are expected to follow the storm for several days. In anticipation of this continued weather event, City of Salem would like to caution drivers that road conditions could get worse during the evening and early morning hours. City work crews will continue to plow, sand, and apply deicer to City streets throughout the day and night but caution drivers to:
· Reduce your speed and leave extra distance between vehicles
· Use extra caution on sharp curves and expect longer stopping distances
· Give snowplows plenty of room and only pass if necessary
· Make sure your vehicle is clear of snow and ice before driving
· Carry a shovel and sand or kitty litter for emergency traction assistance
· Keep an emergency supply kit in your vehicle that includes a blanket, some food, and water
Information on the priority and secondary snow routes in Salem can be found on the City's website on the Current Road Conditions Map. These routes are based on the amount of traffic received.