You may need a background check when applying for a license or to work for certain businesses.
To get a background check, you will be required to submit the following information and documentation:
- A signed background check advisory form.
- A federal or State of Oregon picture identification.
- Your physical description including identify scars or marks.
- A list of probation violations within the 10 years prior to the application date.
- A list of all felony or misdemeanor convictions other than minor traffic violations including the crime and arresting agency.
- A list of arrests other than minor traffic violations including the crime and arresting agency.
- A list of your residences during the past five years.
- A list of your employers during the past five years.
- Names and contact information of three character references, not related to you who live in the Salem area.
A photo will be taken of each individual when the application is submitted.
Background check process
Apply: Bring your completed application, all required documents, and the required fees to the Permit Application Center.
The application and required documents are sent to the Salem Police Department for processing.
Approval: You will be notified in writing and then you can pick up the actual license from the Permit Application Center.
Denial: You will be notified in writing and given a reason for the denial. You can appeal the decision as outlined in SRC Chapter 20J.