Electronic application and plan review improves efficiency and reduces costs.
Getting started for first-time users
Using e-plan review
Plans preparation: Make sure your documents meet the following standards:
- Formatted according to the plan type’s checklist.
- Saved in PDF format that can be edited.
- All pages of building plans should be in a single file.
- All pages should be rotated to be viewable.
- Files should not be secured.
- Files should not contain digital signatures. Engineers and architects should send files containing a computer-generated image of seal with handwritten signature. Salem cannot accept files that are digitally signed as the final approved plans are combined into one file.
- Saved with the
correct file names.
Application submission: Complete and submit the electronic
application form for your permit.
Prescreening: Your application will be reviewed and you will be notified by email if information is missing.
Plan review fees: When your application is accepted, you will be notified by email of the plan review fees.
Pay the fees online.
Plans upload: Upload your electronic plans and documents.
- The plan review process starts one to two work days after the plans are uploaded. Plans and documents are not accepted by email.
- All city departments review your plans at the same time.
- You will be notified by email if corrections or more information is needed.
Secondary plans upload: You may receive requests for changes or additions from each review area listed on your permit. To make the review process more efficient:
Wait until all reviews are completed.
Upload files with all changes clearly identified. Plans and documents are not accepted by email.
filename standards for secondary uploads.
Plans approval: Once your plans have been approved:
An email notification containing the final permit fees is sent to the applicant.
You can pay the fees online or in person.
Once the fees have been paid, the permit will be issued.
Printing permit and plans: Once the permit has been issued, login to the Permit Application Center:
- Print your permit.
- Download your approved plans and print a full-size copy of the plans for your construction site.