You can get help to enhance or restore a historically-designated residential property through the City’s Residential Toolbox Grant.
Grants awards are up to $1,000 per applicant, and if you get an award, you must provide a dollar-for-dollar match.
Grant funding sources include:
Two application cycles are available each year.
First application cycle
- Apply: Application period is February 1, 2018 thru March 3, 2018 or until all grant funds are awarded, whichever occurs first.
- Project completion: Projects must be completed by June 30, 2018
Second application cycle
- Apply: Application period is July 1, 2018 thru July 31, 2018 or until all grant funds are awarded, whichever occurs first
- Project completion: Projects must be completed by November 30, 2018
The proposed work must meet the following criteria:
- Enhance or restore the historic nature of, or preserve, renovate or rebuild, the historic aspects of the structure.
- Meet the design standards in SRC Chapter 230.
- Be on the exterior facade of an eligible dontributing building.
- Be completed by a licensed contractor certified in Lead Safe Practices.
You are also required to enact a five-year conservation easement. This allows the State Historic Preservation Office the ability to periodically inspect the property.
Planning Division staff has the authority to grant one extension to the required completion date.
While work is being completed, you must post a Salem Heritage sign on your property.