You can get help to enhance or restore a historically-designated residential property through the City’s Residential Toolbox Grant.
Grants awards are up to $1,000 per applicant, and if you get an award, you must provide a dollar-for-dollar match.
Grant funding sources include:
Two application cycles are available each year.
Cycle one opens January 31, 2020
- Apply: Application period is January 31, 2020, through March 2, 2020, or until all grant funds are awarded, whichever occurs first.
- To apply, you must submit:
- Project completion: Projects must be completed by June 30, 2020
- Applications are due by Monday, March 2, 2020, at 5 p.m.
Cycle two opens July 1, 2020
The proposed work must meet the following criteria:
- Enhance or restore the historic nature of, or preserve, renovate or rebuild, the historic aspects of the structure.
- Meet the design standards in SRC Chapter 230.
- Be on the exterior facade of an eligible contributing building or is a seismic retrofit that has received a building permit.
- Be completed by a licensed contractor certified in Lead Safe Practices.
You are also required to enact a five-year conservation easement. This allows the State Historic Preservation Office the ability to periodically inspect the property.
Planning Division staff has the authority to grant one extension to the required completion date.
While work is being completed, you must post a Salem Heritage sign on your property.