You can get help to enhance or restore a historically-designated residential property through the City’s Residential Toolbox Grant.
Grants awards are up to $1,000 per applicant, and if you get an award, you must provide a dollar-for-dollar match.
Grant funding sources include:
Two application cycles are available each year.
Cycle one opens February 1, 2021
- Apply: Application period is February 1, 2021, through March 12, 2021, or until all grant funds are awarded, whichever occurs first.
To apply, you must submit:
- Completed application
- Site plan
- Contractor's signed bid (Contractor MUST be Lead Certified)
- Three to five "before" photos
- Project completion: Projects must be completed by June 30, 2021
- Applications are due by Friday, March 12, 2021, at 5
Cycle two of 2021 opens July, 2021
The proposed work must meet the following criteria:
- Enhance or restore the historic nature of, or preserve, renovate or rebuild, the historic aspects of the structure.
- Meet the design standards in SRC Chapter 230.
- Be on the exterior facade of an eligible contributing building or is a seismic retrofit that has received a building permit.
- Be completed by a licensed contractor certified in Lead Safe Practices.
Planning Division staff has the authority to grant one extension to the required completion date.
While work is being completed, you must post a Salem Heritage sign on your property.