Utility rate relief program
Salem offers a utility rate relief program (monthly discount) for qualifying elderly or disabled customers. This program is limited to single-family residential City of Salem utility bills. One discount may be approved per household.
Once approved for the program, the discount will begin on the next month. Eligibility for the program expires each year on September 30 and customers must reapply annually to continue receiving the monthly discount. However, due to the COVID pandemic, the City is suspending requalification for the 2020-2021 year.
The following qualifications must be met in order to apply:
Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency (MWVCAA) screens and qualifies applicants for the utility rate relief program.
Contact MWVCAA at 971-304-2100 to schedule an appointment.
Compile required documents. The following documents are required for applying to the program.
- Proof of age
- Birthdates for all household members.
- Valid identification for all household members age 18 and older.
- Proof of income
- Proof of gross income for all household members.
- Household members age 18 and older with zero income will need to complete a declaration of zero income stating how needs are met.
- Proof of utility accounts
- Current City of Salem Utility Bill
- Current heating utility bill