The links and information below will assist you in applying for a job.
Apply to become a WVCC 911 Call Taker
The City opens the process to accept applications for 911 Call Taker 3-4 times per year. You can visit the City of Salem job opportunities site for more information on how to apply. You can also fill out a job interest card so you can be notified when the position opens.
Minimum job requirements
- Proof of ability to work in the US
- At least 18 years of age
- High School graduate or GED Certificate
- Pass pre-employment drug screening
- Pass pre-employment law enforcement background check
- Pass pre-employment psychological examination
- Pass a hearing, speech and vision examination
- Work periodic overtime and a variety of 24-hour rotating shifts including holidays and weekends
- Typing skills of 35 wpm with 95% accuracy
- Obtain required state certifications during probationary period
Lateral position requirements (Communications Specialist I)
Must meet minimum job requirements and have a minimum of three years of experience in handling emergency requests and/or emergency dispatching, preferably servicing multiple agencies (police, fire and medical) in a similarly sized dispatch agency