Every April and September, up to 20 people can participate in the Salem Police Department's Citizens Police Academy. The purpose of the program is to enhance communication between the community and the police by providing an opportunity to understand police services, resources, policies, and procedures.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Community crime prevention
- Confrontation and firearms simulation
- Dispatch and emergency communications system
- Emergency vehicle operations
- Gang enforcement
- Internal affairs
- Patrol and traffic control
- 58 instructional hours over 14 weeks
- Wednesday evening classes, usually from 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Three all-day Saturday classes
To graduate, you cannot miss more than three scheduled sessions.
- 18 years old
- Valid driver license
- No felony convictions
- No misdemeanor arrests in the 12 months prior to the academy
- Live or work within the City of Salem
Application process and forms
You can contact the volunteer coordinator to have an application packet mailed to you, or you can print the materials from the links listed below and return them to the volunteer coordinator.