At their February 18, 2020 Work Session, the City Council confirmed a slate of 2020 Policy Agenda priorities for final action at an upcoming Council meeting.
In addition to ongoing work to support 2019 Policy Agenda priorities and initiatives, the City Council plans to develop a Climate Action Plan; focus economic development activities to specific areas such as a downtown entertainment zone and redevelopment in north downtown and the West Salem industrial area.
Council also identified several efforts related to affordable housing and aid for those experiencing homelessness, including:
- Plan and site a low barrier shelter
- Establish a single property urban renewal area to support affordable housing on former State Hospital campus
- Build funding partnerships for a sobering center
- Support United Way's effort to establish a mobile response unit
- Lobby Legislature for mental health resources
Following recent discussions, the Council removed organized camping from its priorities for the coming year.
Council also received the recently completed Climate Actions Audit and recommended initiating a Climate Action Plan now, to include community engagement and a governance structure to support the work. Later this year, Council will hold a work session to consider policies to stabilize and reduce waste management fees.