The pace at which Salem implements the Climate Action Plan will depend upon City staffing and budgetary constraints as well as direction from City Council and participation by key partners. Many actions will require additional analysis and outreach before implementing. The tables found below summarize groups of climate action strategies recommended by City staff for early implementation. City staff have summarized groups of climate action strategies recommended for early implementation.
The recommended implementation priorities include strategies that:
- Have high potential for reducing GHG emissions, and
- The City is the lead agency, and
- The cost to the City is considered low, and
- There are community equity co-benefits, and
- The initiation of the strategy could occur in the next two years.
In addition to those strategies, other strategies are recommended as priorities if they:
- Demonstrate leadership by example by the City, or
- Establish Climate Action Plan governance, or
- Enhance equity, or
- Are in-process or ongoing actions, or
- Are already planned for initiating within two years, or
- Will be required by current or pending State rules and requirements.
The recommendations are all drawn from the the short-term suggested strategies found in Appendix 8 of the Climate Action Plan report.