Construction & Remodeling

​If you want to construct a building or make changes to your property, you will likely need approval from the City in the form of a permit. Before you build or begin to develop the site, you will want to know about the three general components of property development: land use, public infrastructure, and building permits.

Building Permits are Going 100 Percent Digital April 1

Starting April 1, all building plans must be submitted electronically to the City. That means paper plans for new buildings, remodels, and other construction projects will no longer be accepted.
What’s happening
May 27
Memorial Day Observance
Jul. 04
Independence Day Office Closure
Sep. 02
Labor Day
Nov. 11
Veteran’s Day - Some city offices closed for holiday observance
Nov. 28
Thanksgiving - Some city offices closed for holiday observanceCivic Center
555 Liberty ST SE
Salem OR 97301

Contact us

Permit Application Center
General Questions
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Permit/License Processing
8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.

Plans Intake
9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
555 Liberty ST SE RM 320
Salem OR 97301
Mail payments to:
PO Box 3405
Portland OR 97208