About Salem Public Library
Salem Public Library is a department of the City of Salem. The Main Library is next to the Civic Center in downtown Salem. The West Salem Branch Library is located on Glen Creek Road NW.
Volunteers from the Salem Women’s Club founded Salem Public Library in 1904. The first library was in a corner of the Salem City Council Chambers. Volunteers ran the library until it became a department of the City of Salem in 1912. The library moved into its own building in 1912, and to its current location in 1972.
The West Salem Branch Library began in 1957 in the old West Salem City Hall, and has been at its current location since 1995.
Salem Public Library benefits from strong community support from the Library Advisory Board, Friends of the Salem Public Library, and Salem Public Library Foundation.
Salem Public Library’s 2013 – 2018 Strategic Plan includes five key goals for library services for our community.