The Salem Cultural and Tourism Promotion Advisory Board advises the City Council on matters pertaining to the use of the
transient occupancy tax, cultural activities, and convention and tourism business in Salem. The Salem Cultural and Tourism Promotion Advisory Board encourages development of a unified approach to promoting Salem; recommending an annual budget to implement such activities; and reviewing and making recommendations on the performance of contractors funded by the transient occupancy tax.
The board advises the City Council on programs and issues affecting the promotion of Salem, particularly in the area of cultural amenities and tourism. The board’s functions shall include advice and/or recommendations on:
Allocation of the transient occupancy tax (TOT)
- Request for proposals for services necessary for the development and promotion of conventions and tourism
- Coordination of activities with other public and private organizations including all
TOT recipients involved in the promotion and/or the enhancement of the quality of life in Salem
- Review and comment on all quarterly/mid-year/annual reports filed with the City by TOT recipients
- Conduct other related functions deemed as necessary or beneficial to promote convention and tourism business in Salem
The Salem Cultural and Tourism Promotion Advisory Board meets at 5:30 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month. Agendas and meeting packet materials are available no later than 5:30 p.m. on the Friday prior to the Tuesday meeting.
Special membership requirements:
- The members shall be residents of or have their places of business in the City of Salem
- One member shall be a representative of the for-profit tourism industry