Salem is Oregon's State Capital and is located in two counties, Marion and Polk Counties.
Salem is an exceptional community for living and working with new and well-established neighborhoods. Residents represent many cultural and religious groups resulting in a vibrant and diverse community. Many who live in the Salem area do so because of its family-friendly ambiance and small town feel.
Salem has 163,480 people as of 2017, accroding to Portland State University's Population Research Center.
More Salem statistics from the U.S. Census American Fact Finder, 2012-2016 American Community Survey:
- Population with a high school graduate or higher – 87.19%
- Population with a bachelor's degree or higher – 27%
- Median age – 34.6
- Population speaking a language other than English at home – 21.2%
- Population 19 year old and younger – 27.5%
- Population 60 years old and older – 18.9%
Housing statistics from to the U.S. Census American Fact Finder, 2012-2016 American Community Survey:
- Total housing units – 61,987
- Median household income – $49,126
- Median home price – $188,900
- Median rent – $819
- Owner-occupied homes – 52.8%
- Renter-occupied homes – 47.2%