If you plan to park in downtown Salem between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. any day except Sundays and legal holidays and you are a
student, volunteer, employee, or juror, you are
required to purchase a parking permit.
Effective July 1, 2019, if you are a downtown resident who wants to park in a parkade, you are required to purchase a parking permit. Please note, if you are a downtown employee also who has purchased a parking permit for a downtown parking structure, you will only need to purchase one permit.
If you do not follow the rules identified within the Downtown Parking District, you
could receive a parking ticket for using free customer parking options when you are not shopping.
The fine increases with repeat occurrences.
Downtown Parking District
The Downtown Parking District specifically states you must purchase a parking permit if you fall into one of the following groups:
- A student, during the time the student is attending class (except the first day).
- A person working in his or her place of employment.
- A person engaged in the conduct of his or her business at one location within the Downtown Parking District for two or more consecutive days.
- A juror of Circuit Court of the State of Oregon for Marion County.
- An unsalaried employee or volunteer who is working within the District.
Employees of Salem businesses must also provide their employer contact information. Employees who work less than 25 hours per week are eligible for a part-time parking permit at a lower rate. A letter from your employer verifying your work hours must be submitted when you apply for your permit.