Most street sweeper routes are completed in order by number around once a month. Streets that have more heavy leaf debris are cleaned more during leaf season. They are also likely to get a visit from the leaf crew, which is a separate operation.
Generally, sweepers run Monday through Friday. They don't run weekends, holidays or garbage pick-up days on your route. Special circumstances that can also disrupt or delay regular sweeping include:
- urgent clean-up needs like spills and glass
- equipment breakdowns, and
- staff shortages due to illness, vacation or hiring needs.
Arterial roadways (for example, Pine, Commercial, Liberty, Lancaster, etc.) aren't swept on the same schedule as neighborhood routes. They are swept by night sweeper operators. The downtown area is also swept on a different schedule.
Also, the leaf crew will not sweep every street within a route. They focus on areas with heavy leaf drop.
Streets we generally don't sweep include:
- private streets or private property
- unimproved streets (generally, only curbed streets are swept
- streets in unincorporated Salem (outside city limits)