Geer Community Park is a beautiful 44-acre park with both developed and natural walking paths, picnic tables, two baseball fields, two soccer fields, Salem's only bike park, and restrooms.
The soccer fields and baseball fields are available for both adult and youth practices and/or games. The east baseball field is pegged for 90-foot play while the west baseball field is pegged for both 80- and 90-foot play.
Paid reservations have priority over drop-in use.
For more information about using the baseball or soccer fields, contact Parks and Recreation Services or
visit our reservation page.
Geer Park Master Plan update
The City is preparing to add new park uses and facilities to undeveloped areas within Geer Park. As a first step, we are updating the park master plan as a response to changes in community needs and park use and changes to the site.
We are striving to reach consensus on the future layout and uses of the park. We have already heard that there is strong interest in a new community skate park. Other potential park improvements may include more ball fields, a picnic shelter and playground, sports courts, added parking, and other facilities to be identified through the planning process.
Learn more and share your feedback
Your input is important to us. At each stage of the planning process, there will be opportunity for community members to learn about and provide feedback on the master plan update.
The first opportunity took place in June with a virtual open house and community survey on desired park features and conceptual layouts. A summary of what we hear from the community will be made availavble soon.
In late summer/early fall, you will have a second opportunity to provide input on more detailed master plan alternatives before a preferred alternative is developed. This opportunity will include a second virtual open house and community survey. A final open house will provide an opportunity to give input before the updated master plan is developed and presented to the
Salem Park and Recreation Advisory Board and adopted by
City Council .
If you would like to receive email notifications with project updates and information about participation opportunities,
subscribe to our email list.
Project steps and schedule
The process to update the master plan began in the spring of 2020. It includes the following steps:
- April 2020 - Review existing conditions and opportunities and constraints
- April-May 2020 - Stakeholder interviews
- May 2020 - Develop conceptual park layouts
- June 2020 - Public input, a community survey and virtual open house
- Summer 2020 - Develop detailed alternatives
- Late summer/early fall 2020 - Public input, a community survey and virtual open house
- Fall 2020 - Develop preferred alternative; Open house to provide input on the preferred alternative before City Council adoption
- Early 2021 - Final master plan developed; Presentation to Salem Parks and Recreation Advisory Board; Adoption by City Council
Implementation of the master plan will occur when funding is available.