Proper disposal of prescription drugs helps reduce drug abuse and maintain water quality. The Salem Police Department provides a drug disposal box in the atrium outside the police station for people in the community to use.
Per federal guidelines: Medications from pharmacies, medical clinics, physician offices, and assisted living/adult foster care facilities cannot use this service and must contract with a local garbage company for disposal service.
The disposal box is open every day.
- Expired or unused prescription tablets and capsules
- Medication patches
- Vaping devices (batteries removed) and any vaping products.
- Any over-the-counter product
- Liquids (including insulin and insulin pens)
- Medical waste
- Personal cleanliness products
- Samples and medicines from care homes and doctor offices.
- Vaping devices with permanently installed batteries or batteries still in the device.
You can get rid of medicines at home using
guidelines from the US Environmental Protection Agency.