Youth voice. Youth solutions. Youth action.
The Teen Action Team (TAT) Initiative provides fun, service-learning and leadership opportunities in schools and neighborhoods encouraging peer-to-peer advocacy of issues that matter to youth.
This initiative is both a local teen service movement and a collective of programs and projects thanks to collaborative efforts between the City of Salem and local agencies and organizations.
Why service learning?
- Social causes are the focus.
- Teaches civic responsibility, team work, and leadership in real world settings.
- Helps build on college and career readiness.
- Strengthens communities.
- Intentional learning, skill development and reflection components are integrated into the experience.
- Projects are over a longer period of time to foster a learning experience instead of simply completing a task.
- Participants are involved in planning & organizing the project with positive adult role models.
“Service-learning is smart teaching, not an add-on. Service-learning bridges academics with real-world service and teaches collaboration, problem solving, and social responsibility.”—GenerationOn