Middle Housing: HB 2001 Frequently Asked Questions

The State Legislature passed House Bill 2001 in 2019 to help increase housing choices and housing supply in Oregon. Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about the new law and its impact on Salem. You can also learn more by visiting the State's webpage on HB 2001.

1. How does HB 2001 affect the types of housing allowed in Salem?

HB 2001 requires large cities like Salem to allow a duplex on each lot that is zoned for residential use that allows development of a detached single-family dwelling. Salem must also allow other types of middle housing – triplexes, quadplexes, townhouses, and cottage clusters – in areas zoned for residential use that allow detached single-family dwellings.

2. What areas of Salem will be impacted?

HB 2001 will impact all areas in Salem that are zoned residential and allow detached single-family dwellings. That includes the Single-Family Residential (RS) zone, Residential Agriculture (RA) zone, Duplex Residential (RD) zone, and Multiple Family Residential I (RM-I) zone. You can find the zoning of your property online.

3. Will all middle housing types be allowed on lots in those residential zones

No. Duplexes will be allowed on all lots in the RS, RA, RD, and RM-I zone that allow detached single-family dwellings. That means duplexes, like a single-family dwellings, will be allowed on lots that are at least 4,000 square feet in size. However, the State has recently adopted new administrative rules that include a provision that requires triplexes, quadplexes, and cottage clusters to be allowed in residential areas based on lot size. In Salem, the requirement is:

  • A triplex is allowed on a lot that is at least 5,000 square feet in size
  • A quadplex is allowed on a lot that is at least 7,000 square feet in size
  • A cottage cluster is allowed on a lot that is at least 7,000 square feet in size

4. What is a cottage cluster?

The State has generally defined a cottage cluster as a grouping of at least four detached dwelling units per acre that are clustered around a common courtyard. Each building must have a footprint of less than 900 square feet.

5. Will single-family homes be banned?

No. Detached single-family dwellings will still be allowed. HB 2001 allows a broader mix of housing types but does not prohibit detached single-family homes.

6. Will accessory dwelling units still be allowed?

Yes. Accessory dwelling units (ADUs) will continue to be allowed with a single-family detached dwelling. They will continue to be limited in size to 900 square feet or 75 percent of the main building gross area, whichever is less. HB 2001 prohibits cities from requiring owner occupancy or parking for ADUs; Salem's zoning code already complies with these parts of the law. 

7.  How much parking will be required?

Under the State's rules, the City can generally require up to two parking spaces for a duplex, three spaces for a triplex, four spaces for a quadplex, one space for each townhouse, and one space for each dwelling unit in a cottage cluster. If a detached single-family dwelling is converted to a triplex or quadplex, the City cannot require any additional parking spaces.

8. When must Salem comply with HB 2001?

The City must comply with the new law and its associated administrative rules by June 30, 2022.

9. When does Salem expect to implement HB 2001?

The City is reviewing the State's recently-adopted rules and will propose changes to Salem's zoning code to comply. This work was initially going to be incorporated into the Our Salem project but might be done in advance of that larger project this spring or summer, given the State-mandated deadline for adoption.

10. How do I stay informed?

You can sign up to receive updates on this and other Planning projects. If you have more questions, you can also contact Eunice Kim, Long Range Planning Manager.

Contact us

Eunice KimLong-range Planning ManagerCommunity Development Department
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
555 Liberty ST SE RM 305
Salem OR 97301
Follow us
City of Salem