Report Neighborhood Problems

​Sale​m promotes safe and desirable neighborhoods for all members in our community by investigating reports of specific code violations. Staff give priority to reports where public safety and health are at risk.

Submit a neighborhood complaint

You can submit a complaint using one of the methods below.

Report a neighborhood or abandoned vehicle problem

Report a parking problem

You can also call the code compliance phone and leave a message about your concern

​Common neighborhood concerns


Property maintenance

  • Grass and weed removal
  • Noxious vegetation
  • Poorly maintained property
  • Health hazards
  • Garbage and junk removal
  • Tree preservation


  • Abandoned vehicles


  • Zoning code violations


  • Abandoned shopping carts
  • Event noise permits
  • Excessive garage sales
  • Illegal sign violations
  • Disposal of garbage in ditches or waterways
  • Retail distribution of plastic carryout bags

​Co​mplaint​ confidentiality policy

​The City’s enforcement-related confidentiality policy is based on State of Oregon public records’ statutes. Enforcement records are public records, but the name of complaint is exempt from disclosure. The exemption is entitled “information submitted to a public body in confidence.” As such, any record that identifies a complainant is exempt from disclosure. However, notes in a file or a complaint letter, that does not specifically identify the complainant, may be disclosed.

The City will disclose the complainant’s name if required under a valid court order or if that person is going to be a witness in an enforcement case​—the “right of cross examination” requires this provision.

​Additional information

Once a complaint is submitted using the online reporting method, you will receive a case number to keep for future reference. You can use this case number to check the status of your complaint​.

Contact us

Code Compliance
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
555 Liberty ST SE RM 305
Salem OR 97301