Request an Elevation Certificate


​An elevation certificate compares a building's elevation to flood height levels in high-risk flood areas and is usually required when purchasing flood insurance. Elevation certificates are important administrative tools of the National Flood Insurance Program. They are used to determine flood insurance premium rates and to document elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with community floodplain management regulations.

Get a certificate

The City has elevation certificates on file for many properties that have been developed and are available free of charge. Contact the Public Works Department to request an existing elevation certificate for a specific property.

If an elevation certificate has not been completed for a particular property, the City will provide a blank elevation certificate that the landowner can have completed by a professional land surveyor, architect or engineer who is licensed by the State to perform such functions. The City retains a permanent record of all elevation certificates it receives on file for future availability to the public.

Information on the City's existing benchmarks may be found on the City's Vertical Datum and Horizontal Datum for Land Surveys webpage.

12th St
118512th St SE7/27/2010
131012th St SE11/22/1995
161012th St SE
163512th St SE7/25/2016
164512th St SE7/25/2016
643513th Ave SE1992
644513th Ave SE5/29/1991
645513th Ave SE2/10/2012
646513th Ave SE2/20/1987
144013th St SE7/8/2002
160513th St SE1992
636813th St SE
66614th St NE8/14/2012
67014th St NE
76514th St NE8/22/2000
76514th St NE9/2/1998
86714th St NE11/3/2003
41014th St SE
42614th St SE10/9/2009
99514th St SE8/18/2009
66615th St NE8/26/2012
69515th St NE6/6/2016
82315th St NE9/21/2010
113015th St SE
114515th St SE2007
124015th St SE9/16/1992
124615th St SE9/16/1992
129015th St SE
60016th St NEJun-98
65316th St NE
77516th St NE3/11/2011
171516th St SE 2/3/2009
171516th St SE9/12/2005
171516th St SE9/12/2005
179016th St SE9/20/1999
179016th St SE
188516th St SE9/30/1996
60417th St NE11/6/2013
65017th St SE3/8/2004
65017th St SE
18018th St SE8/25/2016
37418th St SE9/16/2013
76318th St6 NE9/28/2016
271519th St SE3/1/2000
271919th St SE6/11/2004
270019th St.SE4/15/1993
74820th St NE12/1/2010
114520th St SE11/16/1994
114520th St SE9/27/2007
122020th St SE8/14/2002
122020th St SE
130520th St SE2/14/2011
141020th St SE2/4/2011
141020th St SE7/8/2004
144520th St SE9/28/2007
146020th St SE2/11/1998
148020th St SE4/2/2003
148520th St SE8/21/2015
158020th St SE
19621st St SE 12/21/1992
158222nd Av SE1/9/2002
120422nd St SE8/20/2002
139022nd St SE2/11/1998
140522nd St SE2/11/1998
145522nd St SE2/11/1998
145522nd St SE9/16/2010
145522nd St SE 11/4/2011
148022nd St SE2/11/1998
150422nd St SE2/11/1998
152022nd St SE11/14/2011
152022nd St SE11/21/2011
161522nd St SE8/29/2012
172822nd St SE4/23/1997
181522nd St SE7/18/2000
315522nd St SE4/12/2007
125223rd St SE3/15/2010
174523rd St SE4/30/1997
20023rd St SE
79523rd St SE9/22/2016
146525th St SE5/1/1992
260125th St SE1992
260125th St SE
26425th St SE6/11/2014
274025th St SE2/11/1998
274125th St SE10/19/1994
274225th St SE2/11/1998
275025th St SE10/28/2003
290025th St SE8/14/1996
299025th St SE8/20/2015
299025th St SE8/14/1996
327825th St SE6/12/1989
330025th St SE4/4/2004
331025th St SE10/19/1994
360225th St SE10/28/2004
361825th St SE11/15/2007
362225th St SE11/15/2007
362425th St SE11/15/2007
362625th St SE11/15/2007
364225th St SE  11/15/2007
1 - 100Next

Contact us

Public Works Department
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
555 Liberty ST SE RM 325
Salem OR 97301

​Certificate uses

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides a fact sheet which includes more information about who needs elevation certificates and why. Described below are a few common reasons that you would need to request or use an elevation certificate.

Flood insurance policy

Elevation certificates are usually required to get flood insurance coverage. If your home or business was built before Salem adopted the first Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) in 1979, it is considered a pre-FIRM structure and you may be eligible for a subsidized insurance premium rate. Pre-FIRM structures do not require an elevation certificate to purchase flood coverage. However, an elevation certificate may help reduce flood insurance premiums and will eventually be required as FEMA phases out subsidized rates.

Building permits

Elevation certificates are always required by the City for new or substantially improved buildings in the high-risk floodplain. Review and approval of these certificates through different phases of a project ensure compliance with local and federal floodplain development standards. A final certificate of occupancy will not be issued until an elevation certificate is completed based on the final building improvements and submitted to the City for review and approval. Find more information about getting a building permit.

Letter of map change

An elevation certificate may be used to support a request for a letter of map change, which is used to remove structures or a property from the high-risk floodplain. There are a few types of letter of map changes:

These requests could be considered if a property has been incorrectly mapped as being in a floodplain, a structure or property has been raised above the flood elevation, or for other various reasons. Please contact the city or a licensed surveyor to see if your property qualifies for a letter of map change. After review, if FEMA determines a property qualifies for removal, they will issue a document that officially removes the property or structure from the high-risk floodplain.