Salem City Council approved an updated Salem Strategic Plan at their March 8 meeting, focusing on priorities for the next five years.
Updating the Salem Strategic Plan
The strategic plan is designed to help the City identify major areas of focus. Through the Strategic Plan, the City is clear about the work it is doing to serve the public as efficiently and effectively as possible.
What is the City's focus for the next five years?
The City Council, through the Strategic Plan Update, has five priority areas for action:
- Addressing homelessness through crisis response, working to prevent homelessness, and expanding affordable housing.
- Creating community resilience through more business supports through aftermath of COVID-19, increasing livable wage jobs in our community, and preparing for and responding to emergencies.
- Increasing equitable delivery of service by increasing access, increasing police engagement with all population groups within our City, and strengthening the City's long-term financial position.
- Building great neighborhoods with access to parks and recreation for all ages and abilities, increasing safety for bikers and walkers, and strengthening emergency response.
- Taking on climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and increasing our resilience to climate change.
Why did we update the Strategic Plan?
We built it on the foundation laid in the 2017 Strategic Plan and made updates to reflect the City's current priorities. Staff supporting several ongoing engagement projects like Our Salem, Climate Action Plan, and parks planning, shared input received from multiple community sources.
The Strategic Plan Update builds on the 2017 Strategic Plan to adjust mission vision and values to reflect current conditions and direction for the organization through 2026.
What happens next?
The Strategic Plan Update identifies priorities for the first year. These priorities become the 2021 Policy Agenda. Through the annual City Council Policy Agenda, City Council makes its priorities clear to the City organization and the community. The Policy Agenda is part of an annual cycle of developing the budget, policy and program evaluation, financial forecasting, and reporting on progress.