Steve Powers came to the City of Salem with more than 25 years of government leadership experience which included financial management, economic improvement and expansion, and creation of community partnerships. In November 2015, Mr. Powers and his wife relocated to Salem from Michigan. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration and Political Science from Augustana College and a Master in Public Administration from the University of Kansas.
Current priorities of the city manager:
- Address budget concerns
- Enhance customer experience and improve efficiency of services with technology
- Collaborate with partners to solve community challenges
- Implement the strategic communication plan
City manager roles and responsibilities
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council, serves as the chief executive officer of the city, and implements decisions of the City Council.
- Promotes community and intergovernmental partnerships
- Facilitates public outreach
- Informs City Council of operational needs and priority matters
- Implements City Council direction
- Prepares annual budgets for the City of Salem and the Urban Renewal Agency
- Administers city departments and staff