En español | Construction work is under way to make the Salem Public Library safer in an earthquake, improve accessibility within and around the exterior of the building, and make other critical improvements including replacement of Library shelving. These changes ensure the Library will continue to be a resource for the Salem community for decades to come. These upgrades are being paid for by a bond approved by voters in November 2017.
The Main Salem Public Library, the library parkade and Peace Plaza will all be closed until renovations are completed during the Summer of 2021.
Temporary headquarters for the Library (currently closed as a result of COVID-19 precautions) is the Salem Public Library at Broadway, 1400 Broadways Street NE.
The Salem Public Library at Broadway offers:
- Browsing collections for Adults, Teens, and Children
- New books and other materials
- Hold pick-up and assistance with placing holds
- Public-use computers, scanners, and printing for all ages
- Wireless internet access
- Weekly storytimes
West Salem Branch, 396 Glen Creek Rd NW: Will be open and maintain services throughout move and construction phases (after COVID-19 restrictions lifted).
Online Library Services: Access to the library catalog and downloading of eBooks and audiobooks will be available throughout move and construction phases.
Our library is committed to welcoming, open, and inclusive service to everyone in our community.
Need a meeting space while the Library is closed? Find community meeting spaces in Salem and Keizer.
The project schedule has three distinct phases:
- Design -- complete. The City of Salem is proud to be partnering with Howard S. Wright Construction and Hacker Architects, experts in library design, on the renovation. This design-build team is uniquely positioned to address the unknowns of this sizeable renovation project. The challenge is to finish the project within budget in a busy and expensive construction market, finding a structural seismic retrofit solution that doesn't adversely impact the Library space. The team has worked together with other communities on library design and construction projects successfully in the past including the Vancouver Community Library, Hillsboro Shute Park Library, and Sherwood Civic Center.
- Temporary Library Relocation -- ongoing. This project will require us to temporarily relocate the Library during construction.
- Construction -- ongoing. Work began in early 2020 with the Library set to reopen in the summer of 2021.
Residents helped shape project
Several opportunities were provided through the planning process for residents to get involved and share their opinions, including:
February 19, 2019: Community Open House kicked off the design process and residents shared ideas about what we treasure about the Library building and what we hope could be improved. An online and paper survey was made available before and after the Open House to gather input from those unable to join the community conversation.
April 30, 2019: Community Open House at the Library to share what we've learned and gather input on some of the initial design ideas. See what was presented.
- October 26, 2019: Community Open House to share how your ideas influenced the preliminary design for the Salem Public Library Renovation.