Salem River Crossing

If you need to travel west across the Willametter River in Salem, your only option is the Marion Street Bridge. When you return your only option is the Center Street bridge. Increased traffic and population growth are causing traffic levels on both bridges to exceed State and local standards.

Based on 2006 traffic count data, approximately half (46%) of the traffic using the bridges originates from or is destined for points in western Polk County and beyond. The other half (54%) originates from West Salem.


The general public along with representatives from local, state, and federal agencies are working together on the Salem River Crossing Project to develop solutions that:

  • Meet the current and future transportation needs of the Salem-Keizer metropolitan area.
  • Are compatible with the urban and natural environments.
  • Achieve broad community and regional support.

Decision points

​The Salem River Crossing Project is organized around a series of seven decision points.

1. Management structure and decision process – Completed September 2006

2. Purpose and need – Completed March 2007

3. Evaluation framework – Completed March 2007

4. Range of alternatives – Completed August 2007

5. Alternatives for the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) – Completed early 2008

6. Preferred alternative – Completed February 2014

7. Record of decision – In progress

Land use actions

The City must take a number of land use actions in order to demonstrate consistency with statewide planning goals and compatibility with the Salem Area Comprehensive Plan. These land use actions are being processed together as Land Use Application Case No. CA16-04.   

Task force, Oversight Team, and other project meetings

Past project meetings are available on the project website.

The Project Library includes documents written throughout the project, for public meetings/open houses, and other reference materials.

City Council meetings and public input

August 11, 2017 (comment period ends)

December 5, 2016 (Deliberations)

October 12, 2016 (Joint public hearing)

  • Proposed land use actions, Case CA16-04 
  • Video

August 8, 2016 (Public hearing)

  • Proposed land use actions, Case CA16-04 

August 1, 2014 (Work session)

  • Presentation slides
  • Video

November 3, 2014 (Work session)

February 6, 2014 (Oversight Team meeting)

June 24, 2013 (Deliberations)

May 13, 2013 (Public hearing)

April 22, 2013 (Public hearing)

April 8, 2013 (Consent agenda staff report)

February 19, 2013 (Field trip and work session)

January 22, 2013 (Work Session)

December 17, 2012 (Work Session)

November 28, 2012 (Work Session)

November 5, 2012 (Public Hearing)

September 24, 2012 (Information Report)

August 23, 2012 (Task force presentation to Oversight Team)

July 9, 2012 (Work Session)

April 20, 2012 (60-day public comment period starts for Draft EIS)

February 13, 2012 (Information Report)

June 28, 2010 (Amendment to Intergovernmental Agreement)

February 8, 2010 (Work Session)

September 28, 2009 (Work Session on Salem River Crossing Alternate Modes Study)

February 25, 2008 ( Work Session)

June 25, 2007 (Work Session)

January 8, 2007 (Work Session)

The following documents provide additional information about the project:

The Salem River Crossing Project is working toward a solution that will reduce traffic congestion on the two bridges that connect West Salem to Downtown Salem.

Contact us

Julie WarnckeCity of Salem Deputy Project Manager
555 Liberty ST SE RM 325
Salem OR 97301