Expanded Outdoor Dining Options for Downtown Restaurants: Sidewalk Café and On-Street Platform Program
A Sidewalk Café Permit program was implemented for Salem businesses to expand seating in the streets in response to the Governor Brown's COVID-19 emergency order in 2020 limiting indoor seating capacity.
Effective October 1, 2021, there will be two outdoor dining options: Sidewalk Café and On-Street Platform Program. Only approved platforms will be allowed to utilize on-street parking for expanded outdoor dining.
Businesses interested in placing tables and chairs on the sidewalk will need an approved Sidewalk Café Permit.
Platforms in On-Street Parking Spaces
Businesses interested in a platform in on-street parking spaces to expand outdoor dining capacity need:
- A Platform plan that meets our Platform Guidelines
- An approved Sidewalk Café Permit
- An approved Revocable License to use on-street parking for outdoor dining. Revocable Licenses are available by calling 503-588-6211 x7323. * Revocable License fee is waived the first year.
- No more than six percent (6%) of the downtown on-street parking inventory can be utilized by platforms at any one time.
- No more than four (4) spaces per business is to be used for platform.
- Business must be located on the ground floor of a building, adjacent to the dining platform.
- Business must be open for at least two (2) meals per day, five (5) days per week.
* Applications will be processed in the order received