If your vehicle was taken into custody by the City of Salem, you will need to request a release of vehicle in person at the Salem Police Department. Bring the following:
1. Proof of ownership or right to possess the vehicle
- Photo identification, if you are the registered owner of the vehicle with
DMV title transfer form, stamped by the
DMV. A bill of sale or signed-off titles will not be accepted without
DMV title transfer documentation.
- If the owner of the vehicle can’t come in person, they can fill out an Authorization for Release form (English form/Spanish form), to give permission to another to get the vehicle release. The form must be notarized.
2. A valid driver's license
- If you do not have a current driver's license, bring someone with you who has a valid driver's license to drive the car.
3. Proof of insurance
- Insurance card or policy paperwork showing the towed vehicle as covered on the policy. The dates listed on the paperwork must cover the date you're picking up the vehicle.
- You can use your smart phone or tablet to show proof of insurance at the Police Department.
- A bill or invoice from your insurance company will not be accepted as proof of insurance.
4. $150 administrative fee. The fee may be waived for the following reasons:
- Forfeiture (surrendering the title/ownership)
- Traffic hazard
- Recovered stolen
- Criminal investigation
- Left on private property after an arrest
Once you have the release form, you can retrieve your vehicle from the tow company. You will need to pay the tow bill and complete the tow company's additional paperwork to get your vehicle. Additional fees maybe charged by the tow company if it is after their normal business hours.
You can request a tow hearing if you feel your vehicle was wrongly towed. You must request a hearing within five days of the impound. To request a hearing:
1. Get a Request for Hearing form from the Salem Police Department or Salem Municipal Court.
2. Complete the form.
3. Return the form to:
Salem Municipal Court
555 Liberty ST SE RM 215
Salem OR 97301
- Authorization for release form (English form/Spanish form): Give permission for someone other than the owner to pick up the vehicle.
DMV title transfer form: Use this form to show proof of ownership, if your vehicle isn't yet registered in your name with the
DMV. This form must be attained from the
- Vehicle release form: Use this form to get your vehicle from the tow company. This form is available at Salem Police department.
- Tow hearing form: Use this form to request a hearing if you feel your vehicle was wrongly towed. This form is available at the Salem Police Department or Salem Municipal Court.